Bees In Schools
Bees play a pivotal role in the environment. There is no doubting that.
What they can also do is get people thinking about their ecosystem and how we can make the planet healthier for everyone.
Our mission is to introduce children to the inner workings of bees by getting smart, managed beehives into schools. Our system allows access to live beehive health data that can be used as a learning tool and an entry point to other ecological topics such as bio-dynamic gardening and plant biology.
The challenge we face at the moment is that schools often do not have the budget for this kind of investment so we have provided a platform to allow schools to be nominated and eventually sponsored.
Once a school is sponsored, Our team will provide bees, ongoing hive management, education, and honey to the school for the period of the sponsorship.
School Plan = $1400/y:
- 1 or 2 hives for 12 months (auto renew ideally)
- All the harvestable honey the hive produces goes to the school to market/sell/share
- 1 ‘information about bees’ talk a year with the beekeeper
- 12 beekeeper visits per year (min) to service the hive/s
- Registration of the apiary with Apiculture NZ
- Annual disease inspection & ADR filing with Assure Quality
- Free colony replacement if anything should happen
- BuzzTech colony Heartbeat sensor set up, support, and education is an additional $175 per sensor.
How it Works:
- A school gets nominated or nominates itself to receive a fully serviced urban beehive.
- Once we have confirmed the funding with the school we engage the beekeeper.
- We deliver the beehives and manage them according to the plan set
- The school receives all honey to use as it chooses